Our first stop was at the famous Abbey Road. As a self-proclaimed Beatles fanatic I was ecstatic to be standing where I was absolutely sure that Paul McCartney once stood. It was quite difficult to get a picture that mimics theirs as the traffic congestion proved it almost impossible but I managed to get a picture at least, even though it's not the best and was not without much horn honking and angry gestures.
From here we took the Underground to Goodge Street to visit a thrift shop. Why on Earth would we go out of our way to go to a thrift shop? Is it our undying urge to find the best prices? Inspiration from Macklemore? Neither of those things are applicable to this situation although they do validate my love for Goodwill in the States. We went to a thrift shop called BangBang Exchange because Ke$ha has proclaimed her love for this exact shop on numerous occasions.
So yes readers, you read correctly. Not only did I visit the stomping grounds of the highly famous Beatles but of Ke$ha as well, all in the same couple of hours!
After this we went to a town called Camden to go to the Camden Market and although some of the stuff was pretty cool I think that I would have been fine without ever having done so. The Camden Market is nothing more than a large flea market but is famous because it is held in the historic Camden Stables. Imagine thousands of people, freezing cold temperatures, horse stables, and your typical flea market atmosphere and that's what I put up with for four hours with only having had three hours of sleep the night before. It was awful. I was able to get a few posters, a shotglass, some shirts, and a very beautiful Indian wall tapestry for fairly cheap though. We intended to spend the rest of the night in Camden but as it was only five in the afternoon and both of us were dead tired, we traveled on an over crowded train back to Kingston. I have never fully appreciated how few people there are in Tionesta and New Wilmington until now. I definitely took for granted how much I enjoy those peaceful atmosphere's.
With all of these cultural differences that I am encountering I am finding things that I miss about the States as well as things that I enjoy much more over here in the UK. Once I have had more time to delve into things, I will let you know exactly what these are but I don't want to rush into my judgments unfairly.
Tally ho,
Tricia
No comments:
Post a Comment