Today I am feeling extremely homesick. March 1st has always been a joyous day to me for many reasons. Firstly, it marks the end of February. I don't want to be too discriminatory to that month in particular but find me someone who claims it be their favorite month and I will find at least a thousand ways that they are completely wrong, not to mention undoubtedly crazy. February is the worst month because Winter is still in full swing but everyone is completely over it, even those people who enjoy being buried under five feet of snow and being so cold that they cannot feel a single extremity. Don't ask me why these people exist, they just do. Spring is so close and yet so far away but then March comes and suddenly Spring becomes a reality. Sure there is still snow and insurmountable rain and yes, everything is still physically unappealing with horrid shades of brown as far as the eye can see but with March that all generally goes away. Unfortunately for me, I am England (and when I say unfortunately, I only mean it in this sense-I am very fortunate to be here!) where the grass may always be green but the sky is always gray and the wind is always blowing at least 50 miles per hour. So no, I did no experience the dreadful snow storms that hit back home but the best part of Winter is seeing it end and that is not something that will occur for me.
On a less superficial note, March 1st marks the day that my wonderful Grandparents got married 44 years ago. They were true high school sweethearts and are an inspiration to me and to anybody else who may have any doubts about what true love is like. Five years after they were married they brought my mother into the world and without her I would quite literally not be here. It is also my best friend Missy's 21st birthday and I am quite upset that I am not with her to help her celebrate, especially since she drove me around for hours on end on mine. Lastly, my softball team is traveling to Florida for our annual Spring break training trip. I am very sad that I am not able to be with them and support them. Florida is a wonderful experience for team bonding and by not being there I feel that I will am missing out on a great deal.
But there is a way to cure this homesickness. And what is that you may ask? Well readers,I have just booked my own Spring break trip. My Spring break is rather long and is from March 22-April 14. I will be spending four nights in Madrid with my long lost friend, Daniela, who was a foreign exchange student at West Forest years ago. I will then head to Sevilla to meet up with Sarah and her family for a night. Sarah and I will then go to Italy for a week to stay with my Aunt Patty's family who are nice enough to welcome us into their home. From Italy we will be heading to Ireland to stay in Dublin for two nights and then we will go to Yorkshire to stay with my flatmate Amelia before returning back to London. I cannot even begin to fathom how amazing these trips will be, despite the 55 hour train ride from Spain to Italy. I am still relishing in the fact that there are trains with beds in them to make sleeping more convenient. I know-I make it far too obvious that I have seldom traveled outside of Tionesta.
Whether you are reading this from the States or wherever else you, happy March! I'm sure the birds will now start chirping a little louder and the sun will shine a little brighter wherever you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment