...until you develop an infection in your facial causing massive swelling and immense pain.
On Saturday a group of us visited Windsor Castle, one of Queen Elizabeth's homes. It was a completely breathtaking experience to walk through the areas where many kings and queens once inhabited. I was able to visit King Henry VIII's grave which is something I have dreamed about doing for many years. On the trip home from Windsor I started to have what appeared to be a terrible headache, I took some medicine and it went away. Throughout the rest of the night the headache became much worse and seemed to have developed into a toothache in the front of my mouth. The pain was so awful that I could not sleep or eat at all. After doing much research on Sunday evening I decided that the cause could very possibly have been my recent nose piercing which had grown to become infected, as I noticed due to a red inflamed area near the puncture hole. The pain was still growing worse and I continued to self-medicate with over the counter pain relievers although I grew weary of that method as I had noticed that I had taken quite a few in a short period of time. On Monday morning, my first day of classes, I awoke with severe swelling covering the entire right side of my face. Scared and still in pain, I visited the Doctor's office causing me to miss my very first class abroad and if you know me, I am not one to miss class for any reason. The doctor concluded it a facial infection and prescribed me the highest dosage of antibiotics in hopes to cure it. As it is now Tuesday afternoon, I have taken four of the twenty-one prescribed antibiotics with no sign of relief. My face is still as swollen as it was yesterday although very thankfully the pain has subsided for the most part.
This is easily one of the most terrifying experiences I have even undergone as not only have I never had something like this occur, but I am also alone in a foreign country when I am in dire need of my family and friends. I am sure once the infection clears up (hopefully sooner rather than later) I will go back to being cheerful and excited for the opportunity I have been blessed with but for now the "honeymoon phase" is over.
For anyone curious I did remove my nose piercing and rest assured, I will never ever get my nose pierced again.
-Tricia
No comments:
Post a Comment