On Friday morning before five am I awoke in preparation to catch my 5:45 train to central London. As I woke, read my daily paper (or should I say checked my Twitter feed) it occurred to me that everyone back home was just beginning their night out. In a daze a gathered my suitcase and staggered to the train station. While it may not seem like an accomplishment to anyone else, I caught the train by myself and for that I was extremely proud. Being from Tionesta, public transportation baffles me and I would much rather drive my car from place to place, but I suppose this is all part of the experience. To me catching the train alone was a glimmer of growing independence.
Arriving at Waterloo station I met with Sarah and at 7am we boarded our coach heading to Amsterdam. There were 96 students in total on this trip coming from three various universities around London. We drove for two hours or more across the England countryside to the Port of Dover where we boarded a ferry, coach buses and all. The Port of Dover is quite famous for various reasons. It features quite large cliffs that are entirely white and consist of a natural chalky substance making them stunningly beautiful. Adding to their history and beauty is the fact that the cliffs overlook a large body of water connecting to France. These cliffs were once used as a place for the English to spy on Napoleon and the French troops in wartime and apparently proved quite useful. After exchanging my Great Britain Pounds into Euros, going through French customs (fairly easily I might add) and having my passport stamped, we hopped aboard the ferry and set sail for Calais, France. The unsteadiness of the journey paired with my fatigue made my stomach and my mind uneasy but after nearly two hours, we docked and continued to venture across the northern European countryside. We traveled through France, namely Normandy, and into Belgium without question. This type of travel which is nearly identical to traveling from state to state in America is made possible because of a pact called the Schengen Agreement which allows for easy travel to be done between various countries who have included themselves in this. We did not stop in Belgium on the first day but we stopped at a "truck stop" near the border once we arrived in the Netherlands. This was my first contact with a foreign language. I never really took into account how happy I am that I chose to study in a place where the language is natural to me. While running around the extremely fancy area trying to understand signs and order my food with 96 others like a chicken with my head cut off, I got exactly that. Asking for chicken, the lady slopped an entire one onto my plate and as I dug into my meal I felt quite archaic, the only difference being that I used utensils rather than my bare hands.
We arrived to our hotel around 7pm, taking into account that the time difference was an hour ahead of that in England. The hotel was stunning. As we crowded into the lobby I found myself amazed at its beauty. Again, I felt silly for thinking this but I accredited it to living a fairly sheltered life up to this point. Sarah and I put our bags in our breathtaking room and immediately attempted to straighten our hair in order to prepare ourselves for the night. This routine was rudely interrupted by the smoke coming from the straightener as I nearly put my hair in the contraption. Wouldn't that have been fun.
The group of 96 divided up between the two tour guides and we boarded the tram to Amsterdam. First let me tell you that Amsterdam is a place that has a little bit of everything for everyone. It is unfair to judge it for any one reason or another, but yes, my very first Amsterdam experience was a stroll through the Red Light District. Almost immediately the wind blew, sending fumes of legal marijuana into my nostrils. I consider that to be my first welcome. Getting a near contact high from the overbearing constant smell I found myself walking in front of numerous cyclists who have no reservations about running pedestrians over. There are probably more cyclists in this city than people who drive cars and they do not stop for anything or anyone as I found out firsthand. Surviving this near death experience my very next sight were ladies in lingerie scattered throughout large windows in buildings lining the streets. They danced seductively, men made derogatory comments, some people didn't think twice about their surroundings, some made purchases, as for myself? I cringed. Not only do I find it degrading to the women as I heard the disgusting things that men were saying about them but as I watched children so merrily walk through the area I felt myself becoming physically ill. I respect how lenient the country is with an attitude of "to each his own" but I found myself very happy to only be a visitor. From this we were left to venture throughout the streets for the night and all I will tell you is that on a Friday night in Amsterdam sex and drugs becomes all that is seen and talked about.
The next morning we awoke, ate a delicious breakfast from a panoramic penthouse view of the city, and then ventured by coach to the city of Edam which is in the northern part of the Netherlands, also known as northern Holland. Although we only spent an hour or so in this city, it quickly became my favorite part of the trip. The small town was picturesque. The sheer beauty of the snow falling ever so slightly on the cobblestone streets and canals could not be captured by any image or explanation, it is only something that can be understood in person. The word cozy comes to mind but is a complete and utter understatement. After visiting the cheese and chocolate houses (where I had the absolute best chocolate I've ever had, and believe me when I say that I am an expert on chocolate) I took pictures hoping to one day replicate the images so that they would remain vivid in my head. As I walked through the streets and saw the families surrounding tables in their houses, talking over their morning tea, I couldn't help but become nostalgic of Tionesta. I am finding more and more that I miss the small town atmosphere.
Leaving Edam we headed to a town called Volendam thirty minutes away. A town alongside a sea port we were urged to try the cultural delicacy of raw heron fish. As I bit down on the slimy piece of uncooked meet I had to fight the urge to immediately spit it back out but apparently others had a more pleasant experience. This town was small like Edam but a bit too "touristy" for my taste. Something about brightly colored sweatshirts and postcards crowding the streets takes away from the rest of the aura. Once again only spending an hour or so in Volendam we arrived back in Amsterdam with most of the day ahead of us.
Immediately Sarah and I walked through the bustling city streets where we found ourselves in line for the Anne Frank house. Standing outside in the snow and cold for over an hour became immediately worth it as we entered the historical gold mine. I have been in many museums in my life, seen many historically representative images, but nothing amounted to the feeling I got from being inside of this house. We all know the devastating story of Anne Frank but to actually see her small, windowless room containing images scattered along the walls that she herself put up, the tiny attic in which she hid from the Nazi's, and to have her actual diary on display with the words of hopeful despair written throughout was a life changing experience.I found myself quite emotional from this, it was a lot to take in. Leaving the house we ventured throughout the city, seeing the sights, meeting people, and attempting to take the everything in as our departure was set for early the next morning.
Boarding the coach the next morning the atmosphere of the group was quite different. Once excited and talkative, the group was now looking sluggish as we jam packed weeks worth of adventure into practically one day. Leaving Amsterdam and the Netherlands itself we found ourselves in a city called Brugge in Belgium. Having a few hours to explore the once bustling European city known for its cloth exports we attempted to muster up enough energy to enjoy its beauty. So what did I do in Belgium? I had a Belgian waffle of course which was the most delicious waffle I have ever had I might add. Topped with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, powdered sugar, and whipped cream it was an indulgent meal. From here I naturally found myself in yet another chocolate shop where I was immediately disappointed that Belgian chocolate was not nearly as delicious as the chocolate I had eaten the day before in Edam. I found very quickly that northern Europe prides itself in its love for comfort food and I wasn't upset about it one bit.
We left Brugge and Belgium and traveled back across France to the Calais port where the UK Customs gave us all quite a hassle. Apparently the French are much more relaxed about letting people into their country than the Brits are. I found that to be an interesting experience. Upon having our passports re-stamped we boarded back on the ferry. In a state that resembled near death I wanted nothing more than to be comfortable which was made impossible by the rough seas that we were presented with. As we docked and got back on our coach we were not so pleasantly greeted by snow which caused our travel to go from two additional hours to three. Irritable and tired, the weather turned into a rain/snow mix as we left the coaches, drenching us all and adding to my current "homeless" look that I was sporting. The only thing heavier than my feet were the bags under my eyes. I was a sight for sore eyes, that's for sure. I found myself back at my flat at midnight where I could not even speak to my flatmates about my experience I was so tired.
I am happy to have had the chance to spend this weekend traveling to and from four different countries, immersing myself in various cultures and learning their attitudes toward certain things. I found the native people of these areas to be humorous and fun loving which made the trip that much better, but I do not foresee myself ever returning. The culture of Amsterdam was one that I am not sure that I agree with, but until I see facts and figures of their countries productivity rate and the such I should not cast judgement. Obviously these activities happen everywhere but to see them so bluntly put on display is not exactly something that would like to experience on more than one occasion.
As it is now Tuesday afternoon I find myself still recovering from my travels which is why it has taken me so long to update you all on my trip. I hope that I was able to create enough of a vivid image for you to understand what it was like there.
-Tricia
That's awesome that you got to visit the Netherlands!
ReplyDeleteThe Dutch actually have a word for that "cozy" feeling you felt that doesn't quite have a definitive English translation.
The word is "gezellig". It's roughly translated as "cozy" but it's way more than that. It's that peaceful feeling you get with friends that almost makes you feel at home. And that Dutch word encompasses so much more that we can't begin to describe in English, but we can definitely feel it.
I'm glad you felt that because that's exactly what the true Dutch people would want new comers to feel, not the "culture" of the red light district.
I've been to Amsterdam 3 times but thankfully haven't walked through the red light district. I don't think i could stomach it. But i absolutely loved the canals and the real beauty to that city and their people.
I love seeing all of your pictures Tricia and i'm super jealous that you are getting to live abroad! Wish you all the best!
-Ashley Crowley
I can see how that word could have direct English translation because the feeling does not have ability to translate either. I will never forget the way I felt walking through Edam. It was breathtaking. The Dutch were very nice, warm, and welcoming people, especially in the small towns. It was just the taste of "home" that I had been longing for. The Red Light District takes away from the rest of the culture I think. It's a shame that it's what the city seems to be known for. Thanks for your kind words! Hope all is well :)
ReplyDelete