Today my British Life and Culture class traveled to the famous site of Stonehenge and then to the city Bath. As we drove toward the land upon which Stonehenge sits, one could not help but be enamored by the sheer beauty of the cottages nuzzled along the country side filled with rolling hills and grazing sheep. Upon arriving to Stonehenge I was utterly surprised at my lack of excitement. Don't get me wrong, I am very lucky to have had the chance to see this wonder in person but for me getting one picture, mimicking the images of Stonehenge that I've seen throughout my life, was enough. As people spent the entire hour allotted taking pictures I could not help but think why. What was most interesting about this area for me was the burial mounds that stretched as far as the eye could see, but that's a completely different story.
After this, we drove to a city named Bath, home of the famous Roman Baths. Bath is a beautiful city filled with houses and buildings all made of honey colored local Bath stone. As we entered the city on our coach we could peer down into the both the professional cricket and rugby fields, both of which had matches. We were given a tour around the city which enabled us to see sites such as the Assembly Rooms, places where Jane Austen once lived, and many other historic places. After this tour, which was wonderful since it was such a lovely day, we entered a place known as the Roman Baths. This area is the site of a hot spring in which people bathed prior to the invention of bathrooms (obviously). Roman conquerors spent much time at this site perfecting its use. The water comes from the spring at a temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit and is enriched with numerous minerals. Because of these springs, Bath is well known for its spas and has become quite an expensive city to live in, which is evident as you walk through the streets.
I feel obligated to warn you all, who I hope are dedicated readers and avid fans of my blog, that I will be leaving London in less than two weeks for my return home. While I've had many life changing experiences here, I miss what means the most to me-my family and friends. So I hope that in these next few weeks I can fill my life with as much excitement as possible so that you readers have a few more stories of mine to live vicariously through, because after all those were my intentions for writing this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment