I haven't blogged since my journey has begun because I have found myself in a whirlwind of vast culture and opportunity but I will try to catch you up on what has happened, how I have already been changed, and what I have been doing.
I somehow managed to navigate the Pittsburgh Airport as well as the JFK Airport by myself without much confusion. I felt quite proud. From JFK I went aboard British Airways and aside from the absolute beauty of New York City overhead at night, the flight here was treacherous. Although British Airways is quite a nice jet, I found myself miserable. The man next to me was wearing entirely too much cheap cologne and every time I fell asleep he somehow managed to elbow me in the ribs and wake me. Dinner was provided although it was like you would expect, cheap airplane food nuked only hot enough to suffice as not being cold. They did keep offering alcohol though and much to everyone's surprise I'm sure, I did not drink once while aboard the plane. Shocking, I know. When I landed I ran around Heathrow Airport like a chicken with my head cut off because the terminals are extremely confusing to navigate, especially as a foreigner. I met with others from the travel group that I partner with for my studying abroad. Most others had numerous suitcases and there I stood with just one. I was intimidated and felt highly under packed which is a usual feeling for me because I hate to leave any article of clothing I own behind.
We took vans to the hotel in the borough of Westminster in London, which became our home for the next three days. Here we did what was called a bridging cultures program. During these three days we toured various areas of London and ate quite exotic foods that I am not used to at all. We had Thai food, Lebanese food, and Indian food. If you know me at all, you would know that I normally wouldn't even get near these foods. Although I truly did despise them all, I'm happy that I gave them a chance. I want to break out of my comfort zone as much as I can while here. Our tours consisted of Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, the Saint Catherine Docks, a showing of the famous musical Billy Elliot, Big Ben, and Buckingham Palace. Westminster Abbey was absolutely stunning. To stand where Prince William and Kate recently married and where many kings, queens, and others are buried was quite an experience. The Tower of London was as well. As I stood where Anne Boelyn was beheaded it finally set in that yes, I am in London, yes, I am reliving history, and yes, this is my new life. I am happy that my program gave us the experience of the bridging cultures program because it really did help to acclimate me to the new culture in which I now live as well as help me to make lifelong friends.
On Sunday the 20th of January I moved into my new home at my new school, Kingston University. I live in a building called Kingston Bridge House. The way that housing works here is like mini-apartments, which they call flats. I have my own bedroom and share a bathroom and a kitchen with my five flatmates which consist of two boys and four girls, including myself. They are some of the nicest people I have ever met and they immediately made me feel included which I couldn't be more thankful for. They are all younger than me as housing here is only guaranteed for first years because nearly 25,000 people attend Kingston. The rest of the people along my corridor are quite welcoming and lovely as well.
I have spent my past few days getting used to the area in which I now live. There is a shopping center within five minutes from me which contains countless shops, places to eat, pubs, and grocery stores, and most excitingly King Henry VIII's home. This has already proved itself to be tempting because my main love in life is shopping. The campus is ten-fifteen minute walk from my building which is nice because some others, like my American friend Sarah, need to take a bus in order to get to campus. I also have attended many international orientations intended to get us all used to the culture change and the new teaching styles. The Uni (University) here is much different from Westminster. Not only are there much more students but they sell alcohol right in the student union building, obviously very unlike Westminster because the campus and town are both technically alcohol free. I have found that drinking socially is part of the culture here. I know that it probably concerns my family to hear about me drinking while I'm here but it is not the same culture as in America. One of our orientations was held at a pub where we drank with our professors. Sometimes I enjoy it being this way and other times I fear that I will become distracted by it.
I am also finding that people judge me immediately based on me being American and either love me or hate me strictly for that, no in between. I have had people move away from me on The Tube (Subway) because of my accent and I have had people in a pub do a cheeky (sarcastic) attempt to speak and sound American in an attempt to offend me. Because of this I have found a sense of patriotism that I had not had while in America. Although there is much I do not agree about and am finding many different things here that I think would be beneficially for America to adopt, I do love my country and I will defend it to those who do not understand past our stereotypes.
I am definitely becoming cultured here already and I cannot wait to share my future experiences with you all!
With love from London-
Tricia
Well I guess being a Yankee is your down fall....LOL. I am so glad you are settling in good. I knew you would make friends immediately and that probably does not surprise anyone. The drinking on campus....well I think most of us can agree it has its pro's and con's but I have believe you will be just fine because you manage your life well. Enjoy every moment you have in London because you deserve it. Learn.....and soak up this new adventure the you have set fourth to begin.....I love you so much!
ReplyDeleteChanda
Sorry for my misspelling it is early!!!!
ReplyDeleteHahaha I understand,it is very early there! I love it here but I wish all of you could have come with me :)
ReplyDelete